Trips and Tours
Tour Companies Become More Socially Responsible, Ecofriendly
By Ellen Creager (Detroit Free Press)
May 8, 2008
When traveling, look for trips that tread lightly near fragile tourist sites and are cognizant of conservation. Here are five companies noted for ecotravel. Some feature "carbon-neutral" travel (offsetting the pollution caused by the tour itself). Some emphasize putting money back into local communities and hiring local and fairly paid staff. All aim to provide tours that gently help preserve what tourists go to see in the first place.
- Based In: Tahoe City, California
- Tours: Small ship and adventure tours in places such as the Galápagos Islands and Antarctica.
- Sample Tour: "Santa Cruz," seven days, flexible dates, from $2,495 (based on double occupancy) plus airfare. Sail the 90-person Santa Cruz small ship from Quito, Ecuador, to the Galápagos Islands.
- Winner: Condé Nast Traveler World Saver Awards 2007, best tour operator honorable mention.
- Contact: Access www.adventuresmithexplorations.com or call 800-728-2875.