Exotic Small Ship Trips for the Holidays
Janet Rogers' Travel Trophies
October 8, 2013
A good company to know: AdventureSmith Explorations operates a treasure trove of small expedition ships along a vast variety of itineraries, perfect for “soft” adventure-lovers. Their ships carry from 36 to 189 guests and feel like private yachts so if one is sailing solo, one is bound to meet, travel and celebrate with like-spirited travelers. The top destination for dynamic social interaction, and thus great for solos, is always their Antarctica trips.
Anchors aweigh. “From the Antarctic Peninsula to Panama, guests can enjoy either ice-capades or blue-sea snorkeling,” says Todd Smith founder and owner, adding that “trips just before and right after the holiday season come with “terrific discounts” and better availability.
More good news: unlike mega ships that usually charge extra for shore excursions, guests on small expedition ships enjoy exciting, clever and stimulating treks, rides and outings on land at no extra charge.
—and here we go:
- Hawaiian Seascapes Dec. 21-28, Dec. 28-Jan. 4
- Cousteau’s Aquarium of the World (Baja Peninsula) Dec. 21-28, Dec. 24-Jan. 4
- Antarctic Explorer Dec. 19-29 – just sold out
- Antarctic Peninsula including South Shetland Islands Dec. 20-31- great for solos
- Costa Rica, Panama Canal and Colombia Dec. 22-29 – very well priced
- Galapagos Legend Dec. 23-26
- Australia’s Great Barrier Reef Dec. 23-29 sold out.
Range of prices: $3,000 to $16,000 pp.
The company is also fully set up to assist with hotels to bookend your cruise and if a particular cruise is sold out, contact them for alternatives.
California-based since its founding in 2003, AdventureSmith Exploration was awarded Condé Nast Traveler’s tip-top Travel Specialists List as the world’s expert on small ship expeditions. Call: 800-728-2875 for full scoop.